Silke's Pigeons

Tuesday, December 11, 2007



Hey everyone! I have been busy away from the computer. Working on (stories, assignments, ideas), soaking in (new art, old and dear traditions, friends) and settling in (to winter) with sweaters and twinkle lights.

The Robert's Snowflake endeavor is ended as of Friday, and I got to stop by Grace Lin's for her end-of-snowflake party. Awesome people, awesome cookies (frosted dalmatians), and my first experience with the Wii!

So! Here is Silke on her pigeon high wire. I am still working on the lower portion (the city). Her name I gleaned from a customer conversation at the bookstore that I heard and quickly scribbled down on scrap paper. It is pronounced Sil-kuh, and it is German and is also common in places like Amsterdam and the likes. It's watercolor, pencil, and digital collage. The line is from a story that is waiting to be finished. She came right out of the paper. No other way to describe it.

5 comments:

e.b. goodale said...

love this!!!!

Jackie Parker said...

Oh, Julia! That's just FANTASTIC. I love the scarf, and how it's sort of electrified; like it wants to fly just as much as Silke does - the fibers themselves can't contain it!

That's what it says in my head, at least! :D Totally love it.

Annie Patterson said...

I love this too! :)

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

I also love this. It's so painterly, and textured, and full of energy, and I love the pattern. Beautiful and vibrantly painted.

anne said...

Silke is so poised... high above it all...
like you... keep living higher, up in the sky, Julia! love, anne