type type type

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Been listening for words lately, and not just watching for pictures.
It's a different experience entirely. Words are like wild animals I feel a little unsure of when I go to tame some in the white space. Sometimes I think fellow creatures, especially cats, better understand the nature of how language chooses to inhabit its space.

Cats are very much like stories: coming to you in their own time, of their own choosing, willing to be tamed if respected, finally padding into a patch of sun to glisten at you (if you are lucky).

6 comments:

JaneA said...

I totally agree. Stories need to be charmed and cajoled. It's a bit like being a snake charmer, or a lion trainer, or something. I love your illustration to go along with the post.

Amanda WG said...

i love YOUR words(and these delicious colors, of course)! Does this mean a story penned by Julia is in the works?
I would love to see that!

Nina Crittenden said...

I like the idea that our cats could coach us while we write. I wonder then what my parakeets could be telling me??? So fun that you are writing, Julia!

Sarah Jane said...

Oh my...entirely. Feeling tied to your journey. As easy as it seems, or as it seemed to me from afar off, somehow it becomes intimidating for me. Maybe because I've spent so much time with color and line, and I need to forget that I don't need to approach words the same way...trust your instincts! Can't wait to see a book a la Julia. :)

Stéphanie Rousseau said...

Your words are beautiful and ring true...

jacklynn4 said...

Your posts tell me that you are a natural born writer. Let it flow.
jackie
bliss farm antiques
ps Is there a cinnamon rabbit in your story?